|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
BTS, also known as Bangtan Boys, is a seven-member South Korean boy band formed by Big Hit Entertainment. Their name in Korean, Bangtan Sonyeondan (Hangul: 방탄소년단; Hanja: 防彈少年團), and Japanese, Bōdan Shōnendan (防弾少年団?), both translate to Bulletproof Boy Scouts, which implies that they are going to protect youth from discrimination and suppression in the world. However, on July 6, 2017, BigHit confirmed the English translation was now "Beyond The Scene". They debuted on June 13, 2013, with the song "No More Dream" from their first album, 2 Cool 4 Skool, for which they won several "New Artist of the Year" awards including those at the 2013 MelOn Music Awards and Golden Disk Awards, and the 2014 Seoul Music Awards. A year after their debut, they received major bonsang awards for their subsequent albums "Dark & Wild", The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 1 and Wings.
BTS' first members were recruited through Big Hit's "Hit it" auditions in 2010 and 2011. The original lineup went through several changes before the final group of members was established in 2012. Half a year prior to debut, the members began building their name and creating a relationship with fans through Twitter, video blogs, fancafe posts, and by releasing various song covers via YouTube and SoundCloud. Before debuting in 2013, RM was already performing as an underground rapper and had released several tracks informally, including a collaboration with Zico. Jin had been a student at Konkuk University, majoring in acting, before being streetcast for auditions, while Suga was an underground rapper in Daegu. J-Hope, who was part of a street dance team named NEURON, was active in the underground dancing scene, participating in various battles and competitions. Before joining Big Hit, Jimin entered Busan High School of Arts as the top student in modern dance, but later transferred to Korea Arts High School with V, who auditioned in Daegu. Jungkook was cast by multiple agencies after leaving auditions for Superstar K, but eventually chose Big Hit after seeing Rap Monster's rap.
In October 2015, it was announced that BTS would be the new brand ambassador for sports brand Puma. In 2016, the group were met with a series of endorsements, including being selected as the face of SK Telecom, 'BBQ Chicken', and 'Smart Uniform'. Nexon also announced that they would be releasing character avatars based on the members for their RPG game, Elsword. That year, they topped the 'Boy Group Brand Power Ranking', published by the Korean Corporate Reputation Research every month to highlight the "marketability of male groups in the Korean commercial advertisement industry", for 9 out of 12 months.
- O!RUL8,2? (2013)
- SKOOL LUV AFFAIR (2014)
- Skool Luv Affair Special Addition (repackage) (2014)
- The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 1 (2015)
- The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 2 (2015)
- Love Yourself 'Her' (2017)
- "2 Cool 4 Skool" (2013)
- 2 Cool 4 Skool / O!RUL8,2? (2014)
- The Best of Bodan Shonendan -Japan Edition- (2017)
- The Best of Bodan Shonendan -Korea Edition- (2017)
- "No More Dream" (2014)
- "Boy In Luv" (2014)
- "Danger" (2014)
- "For You" (2015)
- "I Need U" (2015)
- "Run" (2016)
- "Blood Sweat & Tears" (2017)
- "MIC Drop/DNA/Crystal Snow" (2017)
- Rookie King: Channel Bangtan (SBS MTV) – BTS-based reality show, Episode 1–8 (2014)
- American Hustle Life (Mnet) – BTS-based reality show, Episode 1–8 (2014)
- BTS GO! (Mnet America) – BTS-based reality show, Episode 7 (2014)
Variety shows on V LIVE
- BTS Bokbulbok – Episode 1–5 (2015)
- Run BTS! – Episode 1–29 (2015–present)
- BTS Gayo – Episode 1–15 (2015–2017)
- BTS: Bon Voyage – a 10-day trip around North Europe celebrating their 3rd year, Episode 1–8 (2016)
- BTS: Bon Voyage Season 2 – a 9-day travel in Hawaii, Episode 1–8 (2017)
Guests on Variety shows
- After School Club (Arirang TV) – Episode 24 (2013)
- After School Club (Arirang TV) – Episode 46 (2014)
- Beatles Code (Mnet) – Episode 15 (2014)
- Weekly Idol (MBC Every1) – Episode 144 (2014)
- Idol Star Athletic Championship (MBC) – Championship VIII (2014)
- 4 Things Show (Mnet) – Episode 3 (2014)
- After School Club (Arirang TV) – Episode 95 (2014)
- A Song for You (KBS 2TV) – Episode 12 (2014)
- Weekly Idol (MBC Every1) – Episode 203 (2015)
- YamanTV (Mnet) – Episode 23–24 (2015)
- Idol Star Athletic Championship (MBC) – Championship X (2015)
- Weekly Idol (MBC Every1) – Episode 229 (2015)
- After School Club (Arirang TV) – Episode 191 (2015)
- The Boss is Watching (SBS) – Special (2016)
- Idol Star Athletic Championship (MBC) – Championship XI (2016)
- Running Man (SBS) – Episode 300 (2016)
- Idol Star Athletic Championship (MBC) – Championship XII (2016)
- Star Show 360 (MBC Every1) – Episode 8 (2016)
- Idol Star Athletic Championship (MBC) – Championship XIII (2017)
- New Yang Nam Show (Mnet) – Episode 1 (2017)
- Idol Party (TV Joseon) – Episode 11 (2017)
- Knowing Bros (JTBC) – Episode 94 (2017)
- The Ellen DeGeneres Show (Syndication) – Episode 2,315 (2017)
- The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS) – Episode 416 (2017)
- Their fan club name is A.R.M.Y, which means Adorable Representative M.C for Youth.
- BTS was nominated for the Billboard Music Awards for the Top Social Artist going against singers: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande and Shawn Mendes.
- BTS won the Top Social Artist award at the BBMAs (Billboard Music Awards).
- Their label for the Japanese albums used to be Pony Canyon. The current one is Def Jam Records, where there are Western singers signed.
- They have 3 sets of emoticons on the app KakaoTalk, 2 sets with emoticons on the V App, and 13 Snow 'lens', 9 of them being with the boys during Blood Sweat & Tears promotions.
- They released a Taiwan special edition, of the album Dark & Wild, with a bonus song, Boy in Luv (Chinese version)
- Supreme Boi and Iron are two of the former members who wanted to join BTS.
- They went to a baseball match recently representing the team Tigers.
- Every year, in the month June, (the month BTS debuted) there is a festival called the "BTS Festa" when they release hidden images, covers of songs and loads more.
- On July 6, 2017 they changed their English translation to "Beyond The Scene" and changed their logo. Also they gave A.R.M.Y (their fandom) a logo, which looks opposite to theirs.
- On August 13, 2017, they won their first Teen Choice Award for Choice International Artist.
- On November 3, 2017, it was announced that they will perform at the American Music Awards of 2017 (AMA 2017).
- BTS will drop a remix of "Mic Drop" featuring Steve Aoki and Desiigner in November 2017!
| To view the BTS gallery, click here.